Friday, September 30, 2011

Just for Heidi!

Since you don't have facebook I will post this special for you (that and I figure if anyone else understands big babies its you :)!!!

So I had a dr. appointment & ultrasound today. Based on new estimates Baby is 7lbs 4oz, and I am measuring 38 weeks (I am only 34wk 5 days). Baby's feet are roughly 2.5-3 inches long and head measures large as well (can't remember the size :( Basically I am expecting a 10-11 lb baby, and I am totally determined to have him in November. They (Dr. & Nurse Practitioner) keep suggesting that they are going to induce me, or make me have a c-section. I have of course made it clear to them that I will be the one making that decision not them. Unless it is medically necessary, I will be going in to labor on my own. Although originally I decided to have as natural of a birth as possible with the option of an epidural, I am now leaning towards the epidural. My Grandpa Cates was 13lbs when he was born (76 years ago) and Grammy Great was a small woman, she survived and so can I. Plus why else would God give me these "Child bearing hips"?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh Britani...

Are you & the drs absolutely sure you are not a month ahead of where you orginally thought?

Yes, I agree that you should go into labor naturally unless induction is necessary for the safety of baby. I've never been induced but they have given me pitocin to speed things up and the labor was much longer than the one without. Of course the pitocin babies were my 9.5 & 10.5 pounders so it could of simply been their size! ;)
Just know that you will do great! And try not to feel guilty if you wind up with an epidural. Sure women have been doing it without since the beginning of time but I strongly believe that's because they had no choice! (lol)
Oh, and my favorite response when people tell me 10-pounders are easy for me because I'm built for it is, "Maybe so. But 10 cm is still 10 cm no matter how big my hips are!"

Heidi said...

By the way,
13 pounds is HUGE!

Women like that amaze me.

My grandpa's sister had a 12 pound & something baby. I almost can't even picture a newborn bigger than Avril was.