In case you haven't noticed,sometime in the next few weeks Mike & I will be parents! A lot has happened over the last few months and basically we don't have any luxuries, but for us that is OK we have each other and that is all we need. Babies on the other hand need a little more, but since we are on an extremely tight budget we are only trying to buy the necessities. Here is where y'all come in. I need some advice on what I "NEED" and what I can live without. We currently have the following items:
- Place for baby to sleep
- Clothes
- Blankets
- Diapers
- Food (well at least I will have it :)/Highchair
- Car seat (Hopefully will be getting in the next week or so :)
- We do have some other items as well this is just the basic things we have to have!
MY question Do I really NEED... and if so when?
- Swing?
- Boppy?
- Front Pack?
- Swaddle blankets? (pretty sure receiving blankets work just fine)
- Pump? (this I will have to get at some point before the New Year when I go back to work- in the evenings (Mike will be watching baby)
- Nursing Bra?
- Diaper Bag?
Just wondering what I can get away without buying and what I need. Wasting money on something that I might need isn't really a reasonable option for us since I have been off work for 5 almost 6 weeks already. God is good and we are grateful that Mike has been able to work as much as he is.
1 year ago

6 comments:
I say swing and diaper bag are most important for the first month and longer. The boppy I love, but it's not a must yet, you can use pillows and use a seat to set baby in for now, I love the boppy for when they are just sitting up, I have used the boppy to sit Elin on the couch with her whole life almost.
The front pack is nice idea, but I'll be honest... when you have a bigger chest, those type of things don't work to well, at least for me they didn't, so I didn't even bother buying one this time around.
A nice pump is a must for what you're planning, but for now I'd just maybe try a cheap one to get you through the first few weeks of fullness so you can get some relief! I wouldn't buy a expensive one until you know for sure that breast feeding is going to work, I know you're planning on it and all, but sometimes things come up you don't expect or some women just don't produce enough, so I'd hate to see you get one and not use and not be able to return!
Anyways, we can talk more about all this a little bit later!!!
love ya.
Believe me when i say less is MORE!
You don't need more than the basics. From your list I personally;
next to never used the swing, with any of my babes. It startled them too much when they were tiny. I did use it a tad as they could sit up and needed to be entertained more (the vibrating seat was a life saver for 2 out of 4, but the other 2 HATED it)
I use my boppy without fail, every feeding i can for the first few months, but I am long waisted and have to tower several pillows without it (at first.) pain in the tailfeathers. And suffocating.
I have used a pack maybe twice. Ever.
I have never used anything but receiving blankets for swaddling. They usually end up as burp rags, too.
Like Shelby said, wait and see about the pump. And if it doesn't bother you, maybe someone has one you can borrow? (Dana?) That's what I did. And thank God heather had gotten the expensive one. It saved my bacon with Camden.
I would try on several nursing bras and see what you think. I really needed them with the twins, but never used one with Adah because I suddenly didn't want to deal with it. I think it's personal preference. But with the first baby it might just make things that much easier.
I had to have a diaper bag with the twins, but never use one any more. Less is more! (; I think, knowing you, though, that you would need a diaper bag! You are always prepared for anything.
So, I guess what I'm saying is...wait until after all your showers, get a diaper bag, but wait and see if you feel like you need the rest. Someone will be more than willing to run to the store and grab it for you!
And don't forget the nursing pads/cream! Those are a MUST! (;
Okay.
Here's my take. =)
My boys loved the swing.(Avril hated it) But I had one of the short little ones & with Adam I didn't use it much after the first couple of months. With Rowan we barely used it all because we moved into a motorhome shortly after he was born. I know others who swear they couldn't have gone without one. I personally don't think it's a necessity. However, I do happen to have it in my basement if you want to try it and see. Since your baby will be about six months old by the time I would even begin using it.
Front packs are a waste! My babies always seemed so uncomfortable in them. I have a Snuggli and it never really supported their heads well & wasn't really useable after the first couple of months when they can hold their own head up. I know a lot of women really like the slings versus the packs. I have tried them but I guess it seemed impractical to me. I train my babies to fall asleep by themselves instead of being rocked to sleep & the carseat or stroller worked fine when we were out for packing them. But a pack or sling is easier to load in the car. That to say, you may try my Snuggli as well and come to your own conclusion.
I used my Boppy pillow day & night for nursing the first few months. And it is nice to prop them up with when they are learning to sit. That being said, there are pillows & blankets that you could use but I think the Boppy is a good investment. My mother-in-law made mine. As they are expensive, you might ask someone to make one for you.???
I needed a diaper bag. My kids were all spitters so I packed extra clothes for them and me in the diaper bag. And they always have those awful blowouts when they are in their carseats. I would say a diaper bag is a MUST.
I hardly ever used the pump because the cheap ones don't work that well and I didn't have enough milk to get anything extra anyway. I may have an extra one of those as well. If I do, you can have it. I'll sanitize it first of course.
The vibrating seat was wonderful with the boys. Avril pretty much hated everything until she turned two! I prefer one of these over the swing.
Receiving blankets for swaddling. Um, I guess I am the only one who had trouble with this. Make sure you get EXTRA LONG ones if you have a big baby. I struggled with getting them to wrap around my babies far enough to stay put. However, we did use some other lightweight blankets that were bigger. Those worked really well. And we sometimes turned the receiving blankets kitty corner.
I loathe nursing bras!
Cloth diapers are the best burp rags ever. Really absorbent for pukey babies.
Winter babies need hats. And a bundle me for the carseat is awesome. I also couldn't have gone without onsies/one piece outfits. Keeps them warm.
And DO DO DO DO DO get ointment for nursing. It's a must!
Thank you ladies for all your insight, I knew I could count on you :) I suppose then I will work on getting the necessaties and not worry so much about the things that may or may not work (In which case I may be taking y'all up on the offers to borrow your stuff before taking the plundge and wasting money!!!) Now my question is what brand nursing cream and are there any alternatives?? I have etremely sensitive skin and dont want to risk allergic reaction when Bentley will NEED to eat :)
Swing. I loved it because my babies loved it... I'd say it's #1 out of the list.
Boppy. Good for nursing, but besides that, for me it was just eh. You can make do with a pillow.
Front pack. Good if you need your hands (maybe after child #2). I have my hip hammock if you want it. I liked it lots better than the snugli. Although Shelby may have a point... I'm not what you'd call big chested so...
Pump. I'd wait to see how nursing goes before you invest in an expensive pump.
Diaper bag. Eh. That's what suitcase sized purses are for. Why carry two? :) ... Unless nursing doesn't work out and you need to keep bottles cool.
Swaddle blanket.
Never had one.
Nursing bra.
I think nursing friendly shirts are more important (especially if your out and about).
Stretchy. Full. Loose neckline. Buttons. These are all excellent qualities in a shirt.
The t-shirt is bad. :)
I used Lansinoh(spelling?) cream when I was nursing. It's very gentle & you don't have to wipe it off before nursing.(I usually did anyway because the kids didn't like it but it's not harmful)
Anyway, it's the purple tube. They give a you a tiny one at the hospital usually but you can buy a big tube at Wal-Mart for $7 or $8.
I agree with Dana about the shirt\bra thing. Convient shirts are mor eimportant than a nursing bra.
Like I said, I have a swing, snugli, & pump you can borrow to see what you think. I do not think I will need the pump or snugli back but the swing I may snag from ya come May if you're not using it much at that point. It depends on my baby & if the vibrate seat is sufficient or not. But Dana is probably right, the hip hammock or sling may be better than the snugli.
Post a Comment